Using data to support decisions helps organisations move from a “I think the answer is…” mindset based on intuition to a “I know the answer is…” mindset based on facts. However, simply having access to the data and the tools is not enough to promote data-driven decision making. The people answering the questions and making the decision must have the ability to define questions in the terms of data and then locate, interpret and analyse data to come to an answer.
In this interactive workshop you will learn the language of data and how to apply a simple, structured process that shows you how to ask the right question, obtain relevant data, make sense of the data, come to conclusions supported by the data and present the results to stakeholders in a way that is easy for them to comprehend and act on.
What can I expect from this workshop?
- The support and guidance of an expert - Ask your questions and work through challenges at the right pace
- Small group-based problem activity sessions to translate theory into practice
- Real-world learning with practical examples and case studies
- Networking opportunities - Build new connections with like-minded peers in a small group setting
- Module-based learning - Giving you the time to digest the content and put new skills and methods into practice between module one and two
- Resources to walk away with - A copy of the Data-Driven Decision-Making Canvas template for you to use to plan future data-driven decision making
Who should attend?
This workshop is ideal for public sector professionals working in non data specialist roles who are interested in developing their data skills and capabilities to support decision making. Don’t worry - we don’t expect you to be an expert. The workshop has been designed as an introduction and no prior knowledge of data analysis concepts or methods are required.
Hear what other attendees have said about Steve:
- “You make the content so easy to understand no matter how complicated the topics sound, especially for a person like me who does not have extensive knowledge in data.”
- “Steve is a very good trainer. Trainees do not feel intimidated when questions are asked. Sessions are very engaging.”
- “Steve was very passionate about the topic and was able to explain the concepts very well.”
Attend to learn:
- An understanding of key terms related to making decisions with data
- Knowledge of how people make decisions using data
- Practical experience with a simple, structured process you can follow to make decisions using data
- Knowledge of key data & analysis concepts
- The ability to have an informed conversation with data professionals in your organisation
Steve Remington is Principal Consultant and Founder of Minerra. Steve is a consultant, architect, advisor and trainer with more than 25 years of expertise in analytics, business intelligence, data warehouse and decision support projects. His background includes seven years of academic research and teaching at Melbourne Business School, Monash University and Latrobe University.
Steve has worked on analytics projects in a range of industries and countries. Notable projects include an analytics system to optimise oil extraction at the world’s two largest olive groves, workforce tracking and prediction for one of the world’s largest gas infrastructure projects, and an agency-wide recruitment analytics system for a large US government agency.
Steve holds a Masters of Business Information Systems (Honours) with first-class honours and dux of his graduating year from Monash University, a Graduate Diploma of Total Quality Management and a Bachelor of Business from the University of Newcastle. He has published peer-reviewed papers on the use of analytics in organisations to support decision making.
Steve also volunteers his time as the global Director of Curriculum for She Loves Data, a social enterprise that inspires women to become active contributors to an increasingly data-driven world.