In this seminar, Caledonian National Coordinator Rory Macrae and National Trainer Gill McKinna will describe the Caledonian system and set this in the political context in which it was created and supported. As participants, you will get the opportunity to consider how such a system could be implemented in your own political contexts.
Rory and Gill will raise questions for discussion about how a humane trauma sensitive approach to working with men can be consistent with a gendered pro feminist analysis of intimate partner violence. We will also explore the synergies between a model such as the Caledonian and the Safe and Together framework.
We invite you to join Rory and Gill for this engaging seminar which will combine presentation, discussion and interactive content to give you a better understanding of the integrated Caledonian System and how the model and its learnings might be applied at a system and practice level.
What can I expect from a virtual seminar?• Expert insights relevant for your practice - Learn directly from the highly experienced National Coordinator and National Trainer for the internationally renowned Caledonian Model.
• Interactive breakout activity and live Q&A - Connect with other practitioners and leaders working in the context of family violence. You will have time to reflect and start to put your learning into practice. You will also get the chance to ask your burning questions.
• Professional live online event delivery team and live IT support - We specialise in delivering online learning and have customised our offering to ensure all of your feedback is taken and actioned to provide the best possible experience for all customers.
Who should attend?Representatives of the Community, Government & Justice sectors with responsibility for:
• Family/Domestic Violence
• Men’s Behaviour Change
• Children/Child Protection
• Violence Prevention
• Mental Health & Drug and Alcohol
If you or someone you know is impacted by family violence, call the Men’s Referral Service on 1300 766 491 or 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732. In an emergency, call 000.
Need a business proposal to send to your boss? Click here to download the template
What will you take away by attending?
- An understanding of how the different elements of the Caledonian system are integrated
- Some questions and some answers about how to promote such an integrated system into your political context
- An opportunity to reflect on humane and trauma sensitive work in a gendered men’s programme
- A reflection on how such an approach can be consistent with a perpetrator pattern focus in child protection and welfare systems
Community Justice Scotland
Rory has worked in domestic abuse interventions for over thirty years, developing, delivering and managing both court mandated and non court mandated behaviour change programmes for abusing men with integrated women’s and children’s services. Rory was one of the authors of the original practice manuals for the Caledonian system published in 2009 and oversaw the rewriting of these manuals in 2017. He is currently the National Coordinator of the Caledonian, overseeing its implementation in 19 of Scotland’s local authorities.
Community Justice Scotland
Gill has extensive experience working within Scotland’s justice system both as a social worker and police officer. She spent the majority of her front line social work career working for a local authority where she specialised in delivering the Caledonian system. She is currently as the national trainer and advisor for the Caledonian System Gill co-designs and delivers the training for the Caledonian System, is involved in the development of guidance and manuals that support the system and she provides ongoing expert advice to the local authorities in Scotland that deliver the Caledonian System.