From data to influence - How do you tell a story with your data & influence key stakeholders?
Choose your dates:
Data visualisation and data storytelling are core components of data literacy. They are also considered critical skills for people responsible for exploring data to find valuable insights, and communicating these insights clearly and accurately to decision makers in a way that is compelling and derives the desired action. These skills are vital to regulators in their journey to being a modern regulator as they move away from traditional compliance methods and explore various tools including data visualisation and data storytelling to drive better decision making to identify and prevent non-compliance.
In this practical and interactive workshop, you will learn how to create exploratory and explanatory data visualisations, and combine the data visualisations with a narrative structure to create compelling data presentations that will capture your audience’s attention and increase the chance of the desired action being taken. The workshop combines best practices from both academic research and industry experience. The workshop includes a number of small group exercises that allow you to practice new skills using real-life workplace scenarios and receive immediate feedback from the facilitator.
What should you expect from this workshop?
- The support and guidance of an expert: Ask your questions and work through challenges at the right pace
- Small group-based problem activity sessions to translate theory into practice and to bring your own data visualisations to improve your data narrative
- Module-based learning: Giving you the time to digest the content and put new skills and methods into practice between module one, two and three
- Networking opportunities: Build new connections with like minded peers from several state and federal regulators in small group settings
- Professional online event delivery team and live IT support: This isn't our first rodeo. We specialise in delivering online learning and have served thousands of customers. Our live event delivery team will be online with you to address any IT challenges and support the facilitator so everyone can focus on learning, without distractions
- 3+ save 10%
- 5+save 15%
- 9+ save 20%
Who should attend?This workshop has been specifically designed for regulatory professionals and managers who are interested in developing their data skills and capabilities to support decision making.
Don't worry - we don't expect you to be an expert. The workshop has been designed as an introduction and no prior knowledge of data analysis or methods is required.
Learn with your team!Group discounts available. Book as a group and save!
Need a business proposal to send to your boss? Click here to download the template
What will you take away?
- Apply exploratory data visualisation principles to help you understand your data and identify insights
- Apply explanatory data visualisation principles to create data visualisations that communicate insights clearly and unambiguously
- Use the storyboarding technique to plan the content and structure of a data presentation
- Use the narrative structure and storytelling techniques to deliver compelling data presentations
Steve Remington is Principal Consultant and Founder of Minerra. Steve is a consultant, architect, advisor and trainer with more than 25 years of expertise in analytics, business intelligence, data warehouse and decision support projects. His background includes seven years of academic research and teaching at Melbourne Business School, Monash University and Latrobe University.
Steve has worked on analytics projects in a range of industries and countries. Notable projects include analytics to optimise oil extraction at the world’s two largest olive groves, workforce tracking and prediction for one of the world’s largest gas infrastructure projects, and an agency-wide recruitment analytics system for a large US government agency.
Steve holds a Masters of Business Information Systems (Honours) with first-class honours and dux of his graduating year from Monash University, a Graduate Diploma of Total Quality Management and a Bachelor of Business from the University of Newcastle. He has published peer-reviewed papers on the use of analytics in organisations to support decision making.
Steve also volunteers his time as the global Director of Curriculum for She Loves Data, a social enterprise that inspires women to become active contributors to an increasingly data-driven world.
What People Are Saying
“The workshop was great! It was the right mix of theory and putting a live data case study into practice. Steve gave us ample opportunities to break into groups to discuss case studies. Thank you for two insightful days.”Tanvi Ojha, Department of Communities and Justice NSW, March 2022
“I would recommend this course to anyone. Steve was great – informative, intelligent and engaging. I took so much away from this course.”Kellie Sloane, Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications, January 2022
“This was a fantastic introduction to understanding and using data in practical ways in our work. Steve is an engaging facilitator and delivered the content in an easy to understand way.”Leona Wedderburn, Department of Communities and Justice NSW, January 2022