What does it mean to be culturally capable when working with the First Peoples of Australia?
In order to become culturally capable when working with First Australians, individuals and leaders must have:
- An understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, histories, cultures and identities
- An understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people’s achievements and visions
- The ability to work skilfully and purposefully with First Australians creating cultural safety and allyship
- An understanding of racism, bias and privilege
- An understanding the significance of self-determination for First Nations Peoples